Friday, May 20, 2011

Early Autumn, by Robert B. Parker

Early Autumn
by Robert Parker
Random House, NY 1981

Classic. Detective. Novel.
No one is a cool as Boston Private Investigator Spencer. He runs at least 5 miles a day, quotes Shakespeare and Frost, boxes, has a whit sharp as an heiress's stiletto, and he could charm a raccoon out of the garbage. When a pretty blond asks Spenser to help her get her son back from her ex-husband, Spenser collects the 15-year-old kid with no problem. But when he realizes that Paul's parents are only using him as a pawn, Spenser does his own kidnapping.

I admit that I am totally biased - I LOVE detective stories. Reading a good mystery feels like sipping hot coffee on the back porch under chilly gray autumn skies. So, needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Spenser's so clever that I actually stopped to reread a few sentences just so I could take a moment to enjoy his crackerjack whit.

Bottom Line:
Love detective stories? Don't miss this one. Never tried the genre? This is an excellent start.

No comments:

Post a Comment